What's new

Dove Men+Care Skin Defense Hydrating soap or others targeted specifically at shaving?

I was looking at the Dove soaps as I pondered the preshave options.

Dove Men+Care Skin Defense Hydrating Antibacterial bar soap is one I wondered about. Dove has a Deep clean and two scents of "Shave" bars as well. Do any of these work as well, or close to as well, as the more dedicated glycerine preshave bars? The PAA Cube looks good but, $20 shipped is a big chunk of change when I can get a 3.75oz bar of Dove soap for $1.25~$1.60.

The only option I see normally is the ACH Brito Glyce Lime Pre-Shaving Soap which is $10 on Amazon. Most other options seem to be sold out or hugely expensive.

I have tried the better face cleansers and high-quality lotions and they were okay but nothing I would consider special. I don't want to use oils or lotions generally due to clean up and general "goo" issues. Glycerine soaps are hard to find locally so, my thoughts of buying one somewhere and giving it a go have not panned out.

What are the better preshave products that are cheap in relative terms? I want more than a shower or shot towel and CeraVee, while available locally, is darn near $20 for 2oz! 😲

While the PAA Cube with its CK6 additives is probably awesome, $20 is a bit much IMHO even for an 8oz cube. That being said, the 5.8oz puck of Ach Brito Glyce is ~$11 at my door so, almost half the cost with seemingly good reviews but, still a lot more expensive than the Dove options. I see Ach Brito Glyce listed as out of stock and a lot cheaper at my normal razor webstores on the other side of the Atlantic so, next time I need to place an order, I will probably have one thrown in along with blades, soap pucks, and whatever else I pick up.

So, what is good and on the cheaper side? Am I getting close with the Dove bar options or, is that a waste for shaving?

TIA,
Sid

thombrogan

Lounging On The Isle Of Tugsley.
The Dove bars should be A#1 okay. A lot of us are fans of glycerin soaps for pre-shave, but I think it’s the rare soap that doesn’t have glycerin, so most should work even if they’re affordable and easily obtainable.

I’ve used a Neutrogena fragrance free bar. Softened my whiskers, but could’ve been more fragrance free.

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
Don't know if it is available locally for you but my preference for pre-shave face wash is Pears transparent soap and water. The soap is manufactured in Saudi and India. Costs me in AU about US$0.70 for a 125g bar.

I started using African black soap over 10 years ago when I started suffering from dry skin working up north in Utah. I have ordered Dudu From Amazon for years. I have used it as shave soap, but due to the shea butter, it’s not a great latherer. But it is my go to in my preshave routine. I buy 48 at a time every 2 years and pay $1.50 ish a bar.

Attachments

• A5A0CCD8-C4C8-4719-B615-59ACBEC55CA9.jpeg
    A5A0CCD8-C4C8-4719-B615-59ACBEC55CA9.jpeg
    503 KB · Views: 4
Last edited:
Don't know if it is available locally for you but my preference for pre-shave face wash is Pears transparent soap and water. The soap is manufactured in Saudi and India. Costs me in AU about US$0.70 for a 125g bar.

Interesting. I'll have to see if I can score a bar or two to try out of curiosity if nothing else.

I started using African black soap over 10 years ago when I started suffering from dry skin working up north in Utah. I have ordered Dudu From Amazon for years. I have used it as shave soap, but due to the shea butter, it’s not a great latherer. But it is not go to in my preshave routine. I buy 48 at a time every 2 years and pay $1.50 ish a bar.

Interesting, I'll have to check it out.

Turns out this is a British soap. It is about twice as expensive for me at Amazon when bought in a 24-pack and is a lot more expensive in smaller packs.

I started using African black soap over 10 years ago when I started suffering from dry skin working up north in Utah. I have ordered Dudu From Amazon for years. I have used it as shave soap, but due to the shea butter, it’s not a great latherer. But it is my go to in my preshave routine. I buy 48 at a time every 2 years and pay $1.50 ish a bar.

A 4-pack on Amazon is ~$9 so, pretty easy for people like myself to sample some at a modest cost (~twice what something like Dial would run).

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
Turns out this is a British soap. It is about twice as expensive for me at Amazon when bought in a 24-pack and is a lot more expensive in smaller packs.
Pears is/was a British firm now part of Unilever but their Pears transparent soap is made in Saudi and India.

Last edited:
Dollar Tree carries Pears normally ($1.25 / bar) if they are in your area. A really good soap for the money.

I buy soap there occasionally! I never recall seeing that brand so, I'll have to stop at a few outside of my local area and see if they have any. Thanks!

I use this too; just cracked a bar as a matter of fact. I don't have any skin issue that it resolves; I just like the smell, musty and earthy.

Dollar Tree carries Pears normally ($1.25 / bar) if they are in your area. A really good soap for the money.
Pears lathers up more than sufficiently for shaving. The green-colored bar smells great too!

EclipseRedRing

I smell like a Christmas pudding
I pick up vintage Yardley lavender bar soap on the bay for very little money. Despite often being 50+ years old it works well as a shower soap, and very well as a shave soap.

Been using unscented sorbolene based soaps for general use for maybe 30 years, and now also for shaving lather.

No problems with drying out or any reactions.

Last edited:
Lane101 introduced me to DMC when I commented on mixing soaps. DMC has very high moisturizer content and is great for balancing out drying soaps like Arko. Lane101 uses DMC as a constituent of a super soap recipe that he mixes.

I also use it to wash my face. It’s just a great soap.

Top Bottom