What's new

English Leather Vintage Aftershave

Hi All,

I just opened up a fresh 8 oz bottle of vintage MEM English Leather aftershave. I had finished a previous bottle months ago and I was really craving a nice EL splash. It was still sealed in the factory box and looked so nice when I opened it. I am always amazed at how nice the aftershave is and it made me dig out the matching vintage cologne from my collection of scents. The current version is ok but I just love the richness of the vintage. I’m the same way with Old Spice.

Years ago I purchased a bunch of aftershave/cologne sets of EL and Old Spice off eBay. Is was plentiful and cheap then so I probably bought a lifetime supply of each, lol. I haven‘t looked recently. Last year, they were much more expensive.
image.jpg

Anyone else love English Leather? It gets way less love than some of the other drugstore brands.

Best Wishes!

Vintage English Leather produced by MEM was good juice. I had some back in the late 60s.

I am not nearly as fond of the current Dana production as I was the original.

BTW: It is my understanding that English Leather was originally named Russian Leather as it was meant to smell like the specially tanned leather from Russia. However, once the Cold War was underway, it was renamed English Leather to distance it from the USSR.

OkieStubble

Dirty Donuts are so Good.
Hi All,

I just opened up a fresh 8 oz bottle of vintage MEM English Leather aftershave. I had finished a previous bottle months ago and I was really craving a nice EL splash. It was still sealed in the factory box and looked so nice when I opened it. I am always amazed at how nice the aftershave is and it made me dig out the matching vintage cologne from my collection of scents. The current version is ok but I just love the richness of the vintage. I’m the same way with Old Spice.

Years ago I purchased a bunch of aftershave/cologne sets of EL and Old Spice off eBay. Is was plentiful and cheap then so I probably bought a lifetime supply of each, lol. I haven‘t looked recently. Last year, they were much more expensive. View attachment 1486419

Anyone else love English Leather? It gets way less love than some of the other drugstore brands.

Best Wishes!
Vintage Shulton and MEM are two of my favorite aftershaves in the whole world. I agree 100% with you.

I never use the modern Dana EL unless I am mixing up Bootlegger’s EL Dorado. It’s just my biased opinion, but EL Dorado is the closest thing I have found, that gives me the same John Wayne kinda feeling as vintage English Leather does.

My Miles Varied and All. :)

This bottle came in the original faux wood grain box still sealed. I bought quite a few sets of 2 and 4 ounce cologne/aftershave combos still in cellophane for 10-12$. That wasss a few years ago

Does it expire?
That would be my first thought if I saw an old bottle of cologne.
I used EL in the '80s until I was given Chaps cologne. That was great stuff.

Does it expire?
That would be my first thought if I saw an old bottle of cologne.
I used EL in the '80s until I was given Chaps cologne. That was great stuff.
I don’t think it does. I have had many vintage bottles of varying ages and they are all the same spectacular juice.

I never tried Chaps cologne. I do remember seeing the commercials. I used Stetson and Brut back in the early 80’s and loved it. Then on to Polo green and Drakkar in the latter 80’s….. I still use Polo green!

I don’t think it does. I have had many vintage bottles of varying ages and they are all the same spectacular juice.

I never tried Chaps cologne. I do remember seeing the commercials. I used Stetson and Brut back in the early 80’s and loved it. Then on to Polo green and Drakkar in the latter 80’s….. I still use Polo green!
I love Polo Green but I think Red is even better.

Once a bottle of cologne has been opened, oxygen gets into the bottle and will begin to oxidize the contents. A sealed bottle should last a long time as long as it is not exposed to heat or light. Being in the original box is a good sign.

Eric_75

Not made for these times.
Hi All,

Years ago I purchased a bunch of aftershave/cologne sets of EL and Old Spice off eBay. Is was plentiful and cheap then so I probably bought a lifetime supply of each, lol. I haven‘t looked recently. Last year, they were much more expensive. View attachment 1486419

Best Wishes!
That's another one that makes me think of my father. He always had a bottle of English Leather around.

I'm another fan of both vintage English Leather and vintage Old Spice. I've managed to stockpile a few bottles of each, and they're still going really well after what is probably 30-40 years.

My best score was a 16-ounce vintage EL after shave bottle that was new and unopened. The top of that bottle, like the smaller ones, was solid maple (or could be ash). I commissioned a brush turned out of it by Jim Roe in North Carolina. The photo is below, and is my avatar. The knot is a 32mm Silvertip Badger that I got from The Golden Nib. It's a big brush!

Last edited:
Hi All,

Best Wishes!
I have nice bottle of vintage cologne but I haven’t tried a vintage aftershave yet. I use the newer stuff mostly. It’s close enough that I get the feel of it and I can use it liberally. 😁

I'm another fan of both vintage English Leather and vintage Old Spice. I've managed to stockpile a few bottles of each, and they're still going really well after what is probably 30-40 years.

My best score was a 16-ounce vintage EL after shave bottle that was new and unopened. The top of that bottle, like the smaller ones, was solid maple (or could be ash). I commissioned a brush turned out of it by Jim Roe in North Carolina. The photo is below, and is my avatar. The knot is a 32mm Silvertip Badger that I got from The Golden Nib. It's a big brush!

Great idea!!!

Top Bottom