What's new

Texas Gov. Declares State Sovereignty

And the word is "secede", not "succeed", though many tried, but didn't succeed, the last time they tried to secede from the Union.

Thanks for pointing out the obvious (assuming that was aimed at me)... typing quickly and relying on spell check sometimes leads to a few of those typos :tongue:

Hold on there pard. Who says we need more guv'mint? Be outta town by sundown.

That's just about right. The less time in session the less opportunity to create a mess.

But sheriff, if I leave who will take care of Pa and the ranch?:001_smile

As a new Texan, I am surprised that anything is accomplished by our state government. I think (hope) that is forces them to deal with the important issues when they are in session. I don't think we need more government now, but if we were to secede we would need more government then we have now. I think we would need a full time government, not a part time, every other year government.

I've had a chance now to read some news stories associated with this topic, and while I don't believe the legislation quoted in the OP has anything to say about secession, Gov. Perry apparently has made some secessionist remarks. Well, I can say as a Texan that the Governor does not speak for me, nor will he be getting my vote for anything (not that he ever was)...

Last edited:

As a new Texan, I am surprised that anything is accomplished by our state government. I think (hope) that is forces them to deal with the important issues when they are in session. I don't think we need more government now, but if we were to secede we would need more government then we have now. I think we would need a full time government, not a part time, every other year government.
Pa can either leave or fend for hisself. Now depending on how Ma looks an' cooks we can talk. :biggrin:

Well if you do decide to hang around, you'll see we seemed to manage to get a few things done down here. No need to waste time and no time for dawdlin' you're burnin' daylight. :wink:

Based on some of the comments here, I'm beginning to wonder how this guy keeps getting in office. There is every indication that he will be running for a third consecutive term in '10. Can't we figure out someone to run against him other than Kay Bailey? Will Kinky get motivated and serious about a second run, first really considering how serious he was the first go 'round?

Heck do we have any Texan B&Bers that want to give it a shot? That big haired boy's been feedin' at the state trough for too long now. :biggrin:

Based on some of the comments here, I'm beginning to wonder how this guy keeps getting in office. There is every indication that he will be running for a third consecutive term in '10. Can't we figure out someone to run against him other than Kay Bailey? Will Kinky get motivated and serious about a second run, first really considering how serious he was the first go 'round?

Heck do we have any Texan B&Bers that want to give it a shot? That big haired boy's been feedin' at the state trough for too long now. :biggrin:

Wasn't Kinky Friedman's campaign slogan "Why the hell not"?

I've always kind of thought myself to be forward thinking, politically, so I don't know if it's counter intuitive to be such a strong supporter of a states right to secede. When I lived in Vermont, I was a strong supporter of the movement there to secede from the Union, and when I lived in Texas I belonged to a group in Austin that was heavily for secession.

That's why I have to cry foul to my ex-fellow Texans, as five years ago there was just as much talk about secession as there is now, except that five years ago it was liberals vs. Bush as opposed to conservatives vs. Obama. Why everyone is acting like this is anything new is beyond me. I'm not trying to come down on any party sides, as I'm a strict Libertarian (and I think you're both wrong:), but there's always been a strong movement to secede in Texas, it just changes partisanship depending on whose in office. To ask "where were these people when Bush was in office?" is like asking "how come those people that wanted to secede when Bush was in office aren't trying to secede now that Obama's in office?" :bored:

The secessionist movement in Vermont is a little bit more balanced, partisan wise. It doesn't really matter whose in office, Vermont just wants to be left alone. I like how conservatives and liberals can get together and say "Screw parties, the Feds are our enemy. Let's work together to withdraw from that."

The reason that there's talk of secession now is that like 150 years ago, people all over the country feel that they are being made to bend to the will of a tyrant who cares little for their rights as an individual and even less for the traditions of their state. I'm not trying to take sides here, but I can't say I blame them. Should a state have the ability to secede? Absolutely. Should a state be allowed to do this peacefully and without obligation to a government that they no longer wish to be a part of? No doubt.

Will there be a future civil war? It's possible. It depends on how far "the powers that be" try to push their ever-expansive machine on an ever wearying populace. It depends on what straw is to break the camel's back- which imperialistic threat to liberty they see fit to slap on us. I predict it will be an outright ban on guns that finally pushes the silent majority over the edge and into action.

Now, before anyone tries to paint me as a right-wing nutjob who has tinfoil taped to his head and lives in a shack and communicates via morse code signal to his friends, please understand that I'm not suggesting we round up our guns and take down the government. I'm just saying that instead of guffawing and ridiculing a very strong, active, and growing movement of people that believe that this country was founded upon state and individual liberties- and are willing to do what it takes in order to keep those liberties; take a hard look at the issue before you judge, demonize, or make fun of it. All the people that think that the politicos who actually have the nerve to publicly back these movements are "grandstanding" or "blowing off steam", did you ever stop to think that maybe these are people in power that actually care about their states enough to suggest treason? I think that should be commended and not poked fun at.

Last edited:
My grandfather told me, a long time ago, that there are three things you never turn down.

1. A free meal

My father told me there's no such thing as a free lunch.

I myself learned that lesson in graduate school. So many talks offer food to lure you in, but when you're sitting there for an hour listening to some idiot blather on and on and on, you realize that sandwich had a price.

Clubman Rob,

With all due respect... Why is it so hard for you to say what you really think? Don't you find it difficult to get anything done hem-hawing around all of the time :lol:

That's why I have to cry foul to my ex-fellow Texans, as five years ago there was just as much talk about secession as there is now, except that five years ago it was liberals vs. Bush as opposed to conservatives vs. Obama. Why everyone is acting like this is anything new is beyond me. I'm not trying to come down on any party sides, as I'm a strict Libertarian (and I think you're both wrong:), but there's always been a strong movement to secede in Texas, it just changes partisanship depending on whose in office. To ask "where were these people when Bush was in office?" is like asking "how come those people that wanted to secede when Bush was in office aren't trying to secede now that Obama's in office?" :bored:
Well as a native Texan I'll not cry foul, but rather BS to your assertion that there was/is a strong movement for secession. While there might be a strong movement for a small (very small) group there is no large scale concerted movement. If there is one, where is it?

And there is also no such thing as an ex-Texan. You either is or you ain't. I'm guessing you fall in that ain't category. :wink:

I think we need as little government as possible.

My father told me there's no such thing as a free lunch.

I myself learned that lesson in graduate school. So many talks offer food to lure you in, but when you're sitting there for an hour listening to some idiot blather on and on and on, you realize that sandwich had a price.

I said "free", I didn't say, "with conditions attached".

In other words, when your friend invites you for dinner, you should accept.

When someone you've never met invites you for lunch, you have other plans.

TANSTAAFL holds true today as it has historically, but there are still friends who don't expect anything in return other than good company, when they invite you to dinner.

Again:

1: Free food

2: Free money

3: (never got "the rest of the story", because pawpaw insisted that I had to be older to get that part.

;)

Well as a native Texan I'll not cry foul, but rather BS to your assertion that there was/is a strong movement for secession. While there might be a strong movement for a small (very small) group there is no large scale concerted movement. If there is one, where is it?

United Republic of Texas:
http://texas.freecountries.org/

Independent Texas Republic:
http://www.texassecede.com/

Texas Secession:
http://texassecession.com/

Texas Nationalist Movement:
http://www.texasnationalist.com/

These are the largest movements. The group I belonged to (not listed) had about 40,000 members.

And there is also no such thing as an ex-Texan. You either is or you ain't. I'm guessing you fall in that ain't category. :wink:

Haw Haw. :smile:

Pa can either leave or fend for hisself. Now depending on how Ma looks an' cooks we can talk. :biggrin:

Well if you do decide to hang around, you'll see we seemed to manage to get a few things done down here. No need to waste time and no time for dawdlin' you're burnin' daylight. :wink:

It is refreshing to see how little the state government is involved in our day to day life. I mean that in a good way.

My understanding is that Kinky is going to run, but not as a libertarian, he is going to run (I think) on the democratic ticket.

Texas, who gives a damn.

Doc.

Easy there doc, lots of us do give a damn.

I believe the Fed has been trampling all over the Constitution unchecked for so many years, that the folks no longer see an issue with it. This Nation was founded on those documents and it is disheartening to see it disregarded and be acceptable. Strong work to those states that are standing up to the Fed and asserting their rights.

Gotta be the BEST post in this thread :biggrin:

"This is the place to shoot the breeze, and for all off topic conversations that don't relate to shaving."

I think these kind of discussions are great. There are a lot of great shaving sub-forums here, but in the Barber Shop you're even more likely to find a difference in opinion.

Nothing wrong with lively discussion.

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=teMlv3ripSM[/YOUTUBE]

Top Bottom