What's new

Show me your best cheap shaving kit!

Buying expensive stuff is awesome but it doesn’t make it great. Post your cheap kit that you love. Here’s mine.

Shaving bowl: Target - $4
Razor- 1930’s long comb NEE- $8
Brush- Sally’s beauty supply- $7.50
Blade- GSB -.50
Shaving balm- Suavecito $3.75 (in the discount bin)
Shave cream- la Toja- $6

Total cost for an awesome daily shave- $ 29.75

proxy.php

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JCarr

More Deep Thoughts than Jack Handy
Shaving bowl: Barber Pro - $12
Razor- Razorock Butterfly - $6
Brush- Barrister and Mann Tuxedo Synthetic $10
Blade- Derby Usta - .08
Aftershave - Lustray Spice - $11
Shave soap - Arko - $6

$45.08 - you destroyed my cheap kit. LOL!

All numbers rounded up to nearest whole dollar with the exception of the razor blade which was the price for 100...$7.49.

Wilkinson plastic razor and Wilkinson German-made blades in a (delightful) yellow clamshell packet, a cheap synthetic brush, a toothpaste-esque brown tube of shaving cream the name of which eludes me, and basic Nivea aftershave. Change out of 15 EUR.

Did this at the in-laws one Christmas when I was told with with about 3 shopping hours' notice to go before everything closed that I needed to be clean shaven for the day itself, but it was a better outcome than a Mach 3 would have given.

Rounded figures based off my local Walmart prices:

Barbasol can $2
Plain store brand witch hazel $2
Bic sensitive disposables $3 (x12)

Now, I would get about 2 months of daily shaves from a can of barbasol so let's say 60 days. I would go through 3 of those bottles of witch hazel in that timeframe (I also use it on non shaved areas like nose and forehead) so let's call that $6. I would only get about 2 shaves per bic disposable so I would use 2.5 packs of 12 in that time frame so we can call that $7.50.

That equals $15.50 as a rounded up figure for 2 months, that means $7.50 per month. Again, rounded figures so I'm comfortable saying $7 per month.

JCarr

More Deep Thoughts than Jack Handy
Rounded figures based off my local Walmart prices:

Barbasol can $2
Plain store brand witch hazel $2
Bic sensitive disposables $3 (x12)

Now, I would get about 2 months of daily shaves from a can of barbasol so let's say 60 days. I would go through 3 of those bottles of witch hazel in that timeframe (I also use it on non shaved areas like nose and forehead) so let's call that $6. I would only get about 2 shaves per bic disposable so I would use 2.5 packs of 12 in that time frame so we can call that $7.50.

That equals $15.50 as a rounded up figure for 2 months, that means $7.50 per month. Again, rounded figures so I'm comfortable saying $7 per month.

You can't beat that with a stick!

$3.99 Razorock DE-1 (on sale at IB)
$3.99 Proraso White tub (on sale at IB)
$4.99 Proraso White balm (on sale at IB)
$6.50 Omega 49 boar brush (on sale at WCS)
$0.08 Silver Star blade (on sale at Amazon)
====
$19.55 Total

Face lathering, so there is no need for a bowl. If you insist on bowl lathering, I can offer you a clean, black, round plastic takeout container from a Chinese restaurant, cost $0.00.

If you want to look at this on a monthly basis, the Proraso soap would last about 150 shaves or 5 months. Proraso balm would last at least that long. 4 blades per month is 20 blades which totals $1.60.

$19.55
$01.60
=====
$21.15

$21.15/5 months = $4.23 per month

What do I win?

:biggrin1:

Last edited:
Cream SuperMax Menthol USD0.95 per tube
Blade SuperMax Platinum USD0.35 per tuck
Razor Gillette Tech USD4.7
Brush Omega USD4.7
Aftershave Gatsby Splash USD2.8
Bowl from Kitchen USD0.0

Can either face or bowl lather. Based on the same 5 monthly ratio as @Atlantic59 ...
Blade use is 6pcs per month (usual 5 shaves per blade)
Cream & Aftershave can easily last for more than 5 months..
Monthly expenditure if so choose to will be only..
USD3.05 per month...
20200630_104723.jpg

Cream SuperMax Menthol USD0.95 per tube
Blade SuperMax Platinum USD0.35 per tuck
Razor Gillette Tech USD4.7
Brush Omega USD4.7
Aftershave Gatsby Splash USD2.8
Bowl from Kitchen USD0.0

Can either face or bowl lather. Based on the same 5 monthly ratio as @Atlantic59 ...
Blade use is 6pcs per month (usual 5 shaves per blade)
Cream & Aftershave can easily last for more than 5 months..
Monthly expenditure if so choose to will be only..
USD3.05 per month...
View attachment 1119570
Difficult to compete with prices in Malaysia!

Still, how can you get 5 months from a 100g tube of shaving cream? I figure that would last about 3 months. Not that it makes too much difference at $0.95 per tube!

$3.99 Razorock DE-1 (on sale at IB)
$3.99 Proraso White tub (on sale at IB)
$4.99 Proraso White balm (on sale at IB)
$6.50 Omega 49 boar brush (on sale at WCS)
$0.08 Silver Star blade (on sale at Amazon)
====
$19.55 Total

Face lathering, so there is no need for a bowl. If you insist on bowl lathering, I can offer you a clean, black, round plastic takeout container from a Chinese restaurant, cost $0.00.

If you want to look at this on a monthly basis, the Proraso soap would last about 150 shaves or 5 months. Proraso balm would last at least that long. 4 blades per month is 20 blades which totals $1.60.

$19.55
$01.60
=====
$21.15

$21.15/5 months = $4.23 per month

What do I win?

:biggrin1:
You win bragging rights. Lol. What are the websites you buy from? IB and WCS? That brush looks nice!

You win bragging rights. Lol. What are the websites you buy from? IB and WCS? That brush looks nice!
IB = Italian Barber
WCS = West Coast Shaving

If you buy enough, you get free shipping. WCS runs promotions every now and then with free shipping. If you want to save a bunch, there are annual Black Friday sales.

The Omega 49 is a fantastic bargain. I'd suggest it for any shaver that likes boar brushes.

omega-49-black-1.jpg

Difficult to compete with prices in Malaysia!

Still, how can you get 5 months from a 100g tube of shaving cream? I figure that would last about 3 months. Not that it makes too much difference at $0.95 per tube!
Yeah...prices here can be really good with shave products from India and China. I am not sure about that cream lasting as long as I have not even yet finished any of my shave soaps & creams...hahahaha...too many choices after being a member here...LOL

ItemCost (USD)
Maggard V3/MR11 (head/handle)$15.94
Viking's Sword blades$0 (PIF)
Yaqi Red Marble 26mm Tuxedo brush$0 (PIF)
Gillette Pure shaving cream$2.90 (converted from $3.97 CAD)
Nivea Sensitive ASB$0 (Christmas stocking stuffer)

Total = $18.84

---------------
Although, with a few tweaks, I suspect that many of us could put together a decent kit that required no financial outlay. For example:

ItemMethod of AcquisitionCost
Gillette Slim Adjustable razorInheritance$0
Viking's Sword bladesPIF$0
Yaqi Red Marble 26mm Tuxedo brushPIF$0
Tabac shaving soapBirthday gift$0
Nivea Sensitive ASBChristmas stocking stuffer$0

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
Wilkinson Sword Classic razor. The black plastic one. I can't remember the exact cost, but I certainly paid less than £5 for it almost 30 years ago, and it was pretty much my only razor for the next 20 years. It's done thousands of shaves, and cost a fraction of a penny for each shave.

SuperMax Super Stainless blades. I got 100 for £3 and each blade gives me ten shaves. Less than a third of one penny per shave.

Palmolive shave stick cost me £0.50 and gives me 200 shaves, so that's a quarter of a penny per shave. No brush needed.

All added together, those three still cost less than a penny a shave.

My travel kit provides great shaves!
La Toja stick (2 for $10 on Amazon)
Lord L6 razor ($5.50)
Simpsons Wee Scot brush ($40)
Add a small plastic container of AS and a few blades!!
:a29:

Wilkinson Sword Classic razor. The black plastic one. I can't remember the exact cost, but I certainly paid less than £5 for it almost 30 years ago, and it was pretty much my only razor for the next 20 years. It's done thousands of shaves, and cost a fraction of a penny for each shave.

SuperMax Super Stainless blades. I got 100 for £3 and each blade gives me ten shaves. Less than a third of one penny per shave.

Palmolive shave stick cost me £0.50 and gives me 200 shaves, so that's a quarter of a penny per shave. No brush needed.

All added together, those three still cost less than a penny a shave.

How are you liking the Palmolive? I just discovered shave sticks and have been happy so far.

Top Bottom