What's new

B&M Behold the Whatsis! On order and review.

Scent sounds interesting.

Video a bit bizarre. The guy talks about how adding more water usually makes a lather better. Goes on and on about how hydration is important. Then proceeds to shave with a lather that was clearly way too dry.

I also find it weird that he loaded a ton of soap and had a boatload of good protolather on the puck and around the top of the container, and then, instead of loading that good protolather onto his brush, he rinses it all down the drain. The water ran for a while, too. Said he likes to keep the puck looking "presentable." For what?

My soaps are presentable because I scoop up all the protolather and put it on my brush and actually use it for the shave. And I don't rinse a lot of good soap down the drain in order to keep the puck clean. But that's just me.

Anyway, back to the soap. The scent sounds really up my alley, as I like both rose and all citrus scents. I don't like cloyingly sweet scents, and it sounds like this one is not, despite the "sugar cookies" scent note.

I haven't used a Barrister and Mann since the original white tub Seville, which I enjoyed a great deal.

By the way, Bogeyman, if that's you in the video, my comments were not meant to be derogatory. Just observations. I think that lather would have benefited greatly from about 3 or 4 more small additions of water and another 45 seconds to one minute of lather building. Your SE would also be happier without so much resistance from the lather.

By the way, Bogeyman, if that's you in the video, my comments were not meant to be derogatory. Just observations. I think that lather would have benefited greatly from about 3 or 4 more small additions of water and another 45 seconds to one minute of lather building. Your SE would also be happier without so much resistance from the lather.

Nope, not me in the vid. I look like Carey Grant in his prime. ;)

Shaved with it tonight. The scent is pretty intoxicating and evolves over time. Starts floral and musky. Ends sweet and fruity. Performance is stellar.

Got my set last night and took a quick whiff. The scent was indeed intoxicating ... I went back like three times to get another sniff. Will shave with it tonight.

Last edited:
Morning shave with the Whatsis, actually with my trusty Norelco (in a rush). Great scent and performance, as always by Will. The soap is a pretty even mix of the scents mentioned, and I couldn't say any stood out - sounds unusual with "fabric softener," grapefruit, rose all mentioned in the mix, but it actually combines floral and citrus notes very well, and with the new base has stellar performance and residual slickness. The AS to me is predominately citrus (grapefruit), but with a definite musky (in a good way) floral/rose note, and not overpowering on drydown. In spite of the flowery descriptions, definitely a masculine, green, Spring scent, and I hope Will keeps it in the inventory - would love to shave with this every Spring.

Morning shave with the Whatsis, actually with my trusty Norelco (in a rush). Great scent and performance, as always by Will. The soap is a pretty even mix of the scents mentioned, and I couldn't say any stood out - sounds unusual with "fabric softener," grapefruit, rose all mentioned in the mix, but it actually combines floral and citrus notes very well, and with the new base has stellar performance and residual slickness. The AS to me is predominately citrus (grapefruit), but with a definite musky (in a good way) floral/rose note, and not overpowering on drydown. In spite of the flowery descriptions, definitely a masculine, green, Spring scent, and I hope Will keeps it in the inventory - would love to shave with this every Spring.
I’m so jealous right now. Should have chosen the fast fed ex option...

Got my first shave in with this soap last night. As @Scaramouche said, it seems like an even mix of all the scents listed. The excelsior base is amazing. This one is special! Especially if you are a big Dr. Seuss fan or love the charity events.

Just showed up. Scent is much more subtle than I expected and in a good way. Not going to pretend I know what all the scents are but it definitely gives off a sweet fresh baked cookie kind of thing but with a bit of musk to it. But, again, not super strong. Works. Absolutely usable for everyday.

Really pleased.

Just finished a night shave with Behold the Whatsis soap and aftershave. I will say that the new excelsior soap base and deltus aftershave are both outstanding. This may be my favorite soap base. Great performance during the shave and a soft feel after the shave. As far as the deltus aftershave formula goes, it is the best B&M has released yet. I still think that Tallow + Steel aftershave is my favorite. The scent of Behold the Whatsis is exactly as described, it is not in my top 5 B&M scents but is very nice in it's own way and blended wonderfully. Overall it is another winner from B&M, but if you are a fan of Roam, Nocturne, Hallows, and Leviathan like I am this may not be the scent for you. It is very floral to my nose with light citrus and some of the dryer sheet smell they described. I was hoping to smell more sugar cookie, it is there, but barely. This scent really isn't for me though. I can't picture myself using often. I will see if my wife wants it, if not I will put it up for sale. If you're interested let me know.
Note: this soap seems to be much softer than the other two Excesior base soaps I own. Maybe it just needs a little more cure time or maybe it's the new tub, I am unsure. However that in no way hinders its performance. Cheers!

Last edited:
@Hyloworks I agree that the soap seems much softer than others he has made in the past. I thought it may have just been me as I have not ordered from him in a while. It is an excellent performing soap!

E278901B-8D15-4BBB-B068-7927EC1BEFD1.jpeg Lathering is easy. Slick and cushiony. Could probably have added even more water. Looking forward to a shave in the morning.

Only issue I’ve got is there is no way are there are 4 ounces in that tub. But the proceeds go Good cause so I’ll give it a pass.

I received my soap and aftershave sample yesterday. Shaved with it this AM. Though the shave itself was very nice, the scent does absolutely nothing for me. Since there is very little chance that I'll ever use the samples again, I would be more than happy to PIF them to anyone willing to cover the shipping ($3 for USA only). PM me if you're interested. First come, first served!

Just finished a night shave with Behold the Whatsis soap and aftershave. I will say that the new excelsior soap base and deltus aftershave are both outstanding. This may be my favorite soap base. Great performance during the shave and a soft feel after the shave. As far as the deltus aftershave formula goes, it is the best B&M has released yet. I still think that Tallow + Steel aftershave is my favorite. The scent of Behold the Whatsis is exactly as described, it is not in my top 5 B&M scents but is very nice in it's own way and blended wonderfully. Overall it is another winner from B&M, but if you are a fan of Roam, Nocturne, Hallows, and Leviathan like I am this may not be the scent for you. It is very floral to my nose with light citrus and some of the dryer sheet smell they described. I was hoping to smell more sugar cookie, it is there, but barely. This scent really isn't for me though. I can't picture myself using often. I will see if my wife wants it, if not I will put it up for sale. If you're interested let me know.
Note: this soap seems to be much softer than the other two Excesior base soaps I own. Maybe it just needs a little more cure time or maybe it's the new tub, I am unsure. However that in no way hinders its performance. Cheers!
Was under the impression that Vespers was the only other Excelsior base. Is there another one that I missed?

Top Bottom